Do you know what’s in season this time of year? Berries and laziness! Combine them with this easy to make, free-form pie.
Crust (taken from this recipe):
- 1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons (45 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ice water, plus more as needed
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- additional sugar for sprinkling
- 2 cups fresh blackberries rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together. Using a pastry cutter (or your hands), cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Add 1/4 cup of ice water, stirring with a fork until the flour is moistened and starts to stick together. Add up to 2 more Tablespoons of ice water if the dough seems dry. Gently knead the dough a few times in the bowl until it all comes together. Shape the dough into a ball and flatten it between sheets of wax paper into a disk about 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate it for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375. In a medium sized bowl, toss blackberries with sugar and cornstarch until absorbed.
- Transfer dough to a lined baking sheet and spoon the blackberry mixture into the center of the circle, leaving a 2-3 inch border all around. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the fruit, overlapping the dough as necessary. Press gently to seal the edges.
- Brush the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown, Remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool before serving (it’s especially delicious when served with ginger ice cream)