Do you know what’s in season this time of year? Berries and laziness! Combine them with this easy to make, free-form pie.
Crust (taken from this recipe):
- 1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons (45 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ice water, plus more as needed
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- additional sugar for sprinkling
- 2 cups fresh blackberries rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together. Using a pastry cutter (or your hands), cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Add 1/4 cup of ice water, stirring with a fork until the flour is moistened and starts to stick together. Add up to 2 more Tablespoons of ice water if the dough seems dry. Gently knead the dough a few times in the bowl until it all comes together. Shape the dough into a ball and flatten it between sheets of wax paper into a disk about 1/2 inch thick. Refrigerate it for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375. In a medium sized bowl, toss blackberries with sugar and cornstarch until absorbed.
- Transfer dough to a lined baking sheet and spoon the blackberry mixture into the center of the circle, leaving a 2-3 inch border all around. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the fruit, overlapping the dough as necessary. Press gently to seal the edges.
- Brush the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown, Remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool before serving (it’s especially delicious when served with ginger ice cream)
Enjoy this delicious dessert on the go (running away from your many admirers, of course)!
This recipe is a dumbed-down version of this recipe.
- 1 package of pre-made pie dough
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Open up the pie dough and cut out an even number of shapes that are roughly 3″ in diameter.
- Mix diced strawberries with flour.
- On half of the crusts, spread a dollop of Nutella, leaving a 1/2 inch margin, and top with strawberries. Place a second crust on top, then crimp sealed using a fork (running a wet finger around the edge is never a bad idea either). Place on a baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg with a little water, then brush over the pies. Cut two to three slits in each pie, then put in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then enjoy!
I’ve never been one for love poems, but here goes…
Cupcakes are red,
Frosting is white,
There’s enough to go ’round,
So don’t start a fight!
Here’s Paula Dean’s recipe (minus one cup of powdered sugar):
For the Red Velvet Cupcakes:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through.
- Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.
- Spread or pipe on cupcakes.